The NAIS Equity Design Lab (EDL) is a new leadership and professional development series. Each lab employs iterative design, mind science and other research, skill-building, and best and emerging practices. The goal is to develop innovative solutions and models that independent schools can use to address challenges and opportunities related to equity and social justice.
Registration for 2016 NAIS Equity Design Lab: Culturally Responsive Teaching is closed.
2016 NAIS Equity Design Lab: Culturally Responsive Teaching
August 4-5, 2016
Exemplary teaching —the artful blend of content knowledge, zest for learning, and abiding concern for each student and their unique needs and aspirations — is a hallmark of independent education. Yet with wide-ranging demands of an increasingly diverse student body, how do good teachers expand their repertoires so they can draw out the best in every student?
Culturally Responsive Teaching Culturally Responsive Teaching is an expertly guided examination of the essential knowledge, skills, and competencies necessary to create inclusive and challenging classroom experiences that invite and respect diverse ways of knowing and learning. This two-day lab will draw on education research, neuroscience, the principles of design thinking, and practical experience, to engage these and other questions: How can independent schools better prepare all students to live and learn in a multi-racial, multi-lingual, multicultural world? How can my classroom serve as a model of professionalism, educational equity, and 21st-century culturally responsive instruction?
Follow and join this Lab’s conversation on Twitter with #NAISEDL.
Teachers (any subject at any grade level), instructional coaches, curriculum directors, instructional support staff, global education specialists, diversity directors and educators, academic deans, and other administrators from NAIS-member and subscriber schools are welcomed to attend.
Topics and Deliverables
- Elements of culture that shape teaching and learning and how they apply to you and your students
- The connection between growth mindset, social justice education, and being culturally responsive
- Cultural learning tools that help students engage in deeper cognitive work
- Frameworks for understanding of how culturally responsive teaching works
- Instructional strategies that work across language arts, math, science, and history as well as art, music and physical education
- Ready-to-use ideas for making curriculum content more inclusive
- Highly-interactive, design lab format that supports creative problem-solving
Design Lab Facilitator: Zaretta Hammond, author, Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain.
2016 Registration Information
Register today for 2016 NAIS Equity Design Lab: Culturally Responsive Teaching, August 4-5. If you need to register using a PDF form, please contact Michael A. Goodman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Fee reduction waivers are available on a first-come, first-served basis to the first three applicants whose annual school revenue is less than $4 million. To submit a request, or to find out more information, please contact Michael A. Goodman at email@example.com.
Schedule and Accommodations
If you need hotel accommodations for this program, plan to arrive Wednesday (August 3) and depart Friday evening (August 5). The lab will run from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM each day. Lunch, morning and afternoon snacks, and all course material are included with your registration. Participants will also receive a copy of the facilitator’s highly acclaimed book, Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain.
Please note: accommodations are not included in the registration for this institute. Participants are invited to stay at the Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center (where the training will take place), for a special NAIS Rate of $179 plus applicable taxes.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Please send institute registration cancellations in writing via email to NAIS at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 8, 2016, to receive a refund minus a $75 processing fee. No refunds will be issued after that date.
Please contact email@example.com or (202) 973-9761 if you have any questions.