Below is a list of some sample cultural identifiers to consider as you implement your equity and justice, multicultural, and diversity initiatives. Some independent school leaders may recall a time when NAIS referred to a list of the "Big 8" or "Core Identifiers." We have moved away from these terms because they implied a sense of hierarchy, placing greater value on the identifiers in the list over other identifiers.
- Sexual Orientation
- Socioeconomic Status (Class)
- Body Image ("lookism")
- Educational Background
- Academic/Social Achievement
- Family of Origin, Family Make Up
- Geographic/Regional Background
- Learning Style
- Beliefs (political, social, religious)
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or (202) 973-9700.