Registration for the 2020 NAIS School Leadership Team Experience will open in February 2020.
2020 NAIS School Leadership Team Experience (SLTE)
July 26 - 30
The William F. Bolger Center
Teams of 3-5 school leaders, including head of school. Teams can be composed of any level or type of school leader including, but not limited to, directors of admissions, assistant heads, business officers, deans, communications and marketing directors, development directors, division heads, and more.
About the Institute
Take your team beyond yearly evaluations and tedious meetings to get to the core of what makes successful school leadership work in a changing educational landscape. This summer, NAIS will host the School Leadership Team Experience (SLTE), a special three-day, interactive workshop for independent school leaders. The institute is designed for teams of three or more school leaders, including the head of school, to focus on building leadership capacity and collaborative, project-level innovation design.
SLTE and NAIS Strategy Lab have teamed up to merge their content. You’ll get the best of Strategy Lab’s innovation frameworks, as well as SLTE’s focus on team dynamics and team building to drive effective school improvement. The 2020 SLTE will include new content from NAIS’s Jobs-to-be-Done (JTBD) Parent Research and new innovation frameworks for continuous and iterative redesign. The institute will guide you through the JTBD research and help you understand why parents choose your school for their children. Using this research as a foundation, you and your team will identify and unpack selected problems from a demand-side lens. You will also use innovation processes and frameworks to evolve your programming, curriculum, and resources to better meet the demands of your market.
You and your team will receive cohort-based consulting from educational leadership experts, NAIS staff, and peer schools as you work through the real and specific challenges and opportunities facing your school.
Some examples of school teams that will benefit from this intensive, residential course include those:
- who want to streamline communication and learn processes associated with problem identification, root cause analysis, and research-based solution design;
- who want to enhance their innovation cultures through analytical frameworks and visual organizers that promote iterative prototyping in schools;
- with multiple new hires or new leadership; and/or
- who are facing complex and challenging school issues such as enrollment management, affordability, demographic changes, distinguishing yourself in the marketplace, and more.
2019 Registration Information
Type of Registration
|Early Bird Pricing
(until April 3)
(from April 4)
Accommodations and all meals at the Bolger Center are included. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the Bolger Center. Check-in opens at 3 p.m. on Sunday, July 26, and your room reservation ends the morning of July 30.
- Anne-Marie Balzano, director of leadership and governance, NAIS
- Scott Bauer, associate dean of advanced education and doctoral programs, University of Colorado, Denver
- Donna Orem, president, NAIS
- Jay Rapp, vice president for professional development, NAIS
- Tim Fish, chief innovation officer, NAIS
- Mark Mitchell, vice president, NAIS
- Jackie Wolking, director of innovation programs, NAIS
- Claire Wescott, director of project management and coordination, NAIS
Schedule and Agenda
Attendees should arrive on Sunday, July 26, by 4 pm and leave anytime on Thursday morning, July 30.
The schedule will be released in 2020. Please find the 2019 schedule below for reference.
Please note: From beginning to end, all parts of this program work together to build on one another and missing any portion would not provide the intended experience. Therefore, participants are highly discouraged from arriving late or leaving early. If you find that this is unavoidable please contact Jay Rapp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-Work Prior to Institute
- Advance reading of relevant research articles
- Review of school data files (provided by NAIS)
- Informal analysis of strategic objectives and vision
- Team Assessment
Please send institute registration cancellations via email to NAIS at email@example.com by May 29, 2020, to receive a refund minus a $75 processing fee. No refunds will be issued after that date.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
or (202) 973-9762 if you have any questions.