OverviewAs schools continue to navigate a changing economic and demographic landscape, evaluating admissions and enrollment success has never been more important. What does it cost to enroll an independent school student? More importantly, how do your school’s enrollment costs compare to schools like yours?
The 2022 Independent School Cost-Per-Enrollment Study provides the context to evaluate your school’s admissions work. The study represents a collaborative effort between the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Enrollment Management Association (EMA), and the National Business Officers’ Association (NBOA).
Executive SummaryAmong the independent schools that participated in this research, enrollment costs were as follows:
- The median cost-per-enrollment (CPE) was $3,677
- The median cost-per-inquiry (CPI) was $697
- The median ROI was $7 in tuition for each dollar spent to enroll a new student in their first year
The full report contains additional data on enrollment costs sorted by school type (day/boarding), size, region, and grade levels served.
- Full Report: 2022 Independent School Cost-Per-Enrollment Study (PDF, member login required)
- NAIS Research: Jobs-to-Be-Done Study on Independent School Parents
- NAIS Research: The State of K-12 Enrollment 2021-2022
- NAIS Research: 2021 State of Independent School Marketing Survey
- NAIS 2022-2023 Trendbook Excerpt: Independent Schools See Signs of Healthy Enrollment Ahead
- NAIS 2022-2023 Trendbook: Purchase your copy in the NAIS Bookstore
- NAIS Resource Guide: Enrollment and Admissions