As of November 17, applications for the 2018-19 cohort are closed.
School heads are retiring in record numbers. Are you prepared to take the lead in a school?
Advance your professional journey through unique programming and a year-long mentorship with a hand-picked head who will regularly share real-life problem solving, candid conversations and engaging assignments, and lifelong relationships with a cohort of supportive educational leaders.
From learning about leadership styles to getting a behind-the-scenes look at the life of a head of school, hear what recent faculty and attendees had to say about the fellowship.
Apply next year to be one of the chosen few to gain access to new career opportunities, including:
NAIS makes every effort to match fellows to a mentor who will be able to best advise them on issues specific to their leadership journey. In-person programming includes:
- Yearlong mentorship from a current head with insight to their key issues
- One-on-one career counseling including resume and interview preparation to navigate and distinguish yourself in the head search
- Special programming during a weeklong summer institute by current heads providing a comprehensive overview of what a headship really looks like.
- Group action research project that will be presented at the NAIS Annual Conference
- Cultivation of an invaluable network of colleagues who provide advice and support throughout your career.
- A weeklong summer institute.
- Sessions at two NAIS Annual Conferences. The cost of the fellowship includes the price of a two full conference registrations.
Eligible NAIS fellowship candidates must have:
- A commitment to completing all the components of the program in the fellowship year
- A current role at an NAIS member school
- Worked as an administrator in independent schools for three or more full years
- A master's degree or other advanced degree or currently pursuing one
- Support of your school head for your application to the fellowship
2018 - 19 NAIS Fellowship Costs: $5,100
- Includes two NAIS Annual Conference registrations (not including travel), one weeklong summer institute (not including travel) and the yearlong mentorship and cohort program.
All participants at NAIS member schools are welcome to participate in the fellowship program. NAIS has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity. In that spirit, NAIS does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, nation of origin, gender, or any other characteristic.
How Can I Apply?
Applications are typically open from September to mid-November. In addition to the online application, you will be required to send in:
- A current resume
- A letter from your current head of school indicating their full support of your fellowship participation and intent to be the head of a school
- A letter of recommendation from a peer in your current school who you engage regularly (not a supervisor or student)
For more information please contact Jay Rapp at (202) 973-9752 or email@example.com.