The NAIS Equity Design Lab (EDL) is a leadership and professional development series. Each lab employs iterative design, mind science and other research, skill-building, and best and emerging practices. The goal is to develop innovative solutions and models that independent schools can use to address challenges and opportunities related to equity and social justice.
Registration for the 2018 NAIS Equity Design Lab is now open.
2018 NAIS Equity Design Lab
August 6-8, 2018
The William F. Bolger Center
Exemplary teaching — the artful blend of content knowledge, zest for learning, and abiding concern for each student and their unique needs and aspirations — is a hallmark of independent education. Yet with wide-ranging demands of an increasingly diverse student body, how do good teachers expand their repertoires so they create an optimum learning environment for all students, but especially those traditionally under-served.
Equity by Design Lab: Exploring Culturally Responsive Teaching is an expertly guided examination of the essential knowledge, skills, and mindsets necessary to create inclusive and challenging classroom experiences that invite and respect diverse ways of knowing and learning. This three-day seminar will offer a research-based framework that draws on education research, principles of neuroscience, and practical classroom-based experience, to engage these and other questions:
- How can educators better support racially and culturally diverse students in reaching their full academic potential while at the same time better preparing white and other majority group students to live and learn in a multi-racial, multi-lingual, multicultural world?
- How do we mitigate implicit bias and reduce racially-charged incidents to create a more welcoming and inclusive school culture?
- How can my classroom serve as a model of excellence and educational equity by leveraging the principles and practices of 21st-century culturally responsive instruction?
Follow and join this Lab conversation on Twitter with #NAISEDL.
Teachers (any subject at any grade level), instructional coaches, curriculum directors, instructional support staff, global education specialists, diversity directors and educators, academic deans, and other administrators from NAIS-member and subscriber schools are welcomed to attend.
Topics and Deliverables
- Understand the connection between social justice education and culturally responsive teaching
- Strategies for reducing incidents of bias and increasing inclusiveness
- Creating an “equity lens” to guide policy and practices
- Define the concept of “culture” so that it is easily operationalized within the school culture and classroom practice
- Four core ways to make curricular content more responsive
- Culturally responsive instructional strategies that work across language arts, math, science, and history as well as in art, music and physical education
- Opportunities to collaborate with other independent school educators
- Create an action plan that addresses your unique context and equity issues
Design Lab Facilitator: Zaretta Hammond, author, Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain.
2018 Registration Information
Registeration for the 2018 NAIS Equity Design Lab will open in January 2018.
|Type of Registration
||Early Bird Pricing
Schedule and Accommodations
The registration fee includes accommodations and all meals. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the institute. .
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Please send institute registration cancellations in writing via email to NAIS at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 7, 2018, to receive a refund minus a $75 processing fee. No refunds will be issued after that date.
Please contact email@example.com or (202) 973-9761 if you have any questions.