Registration for this institute is now open! We've extended Early Bird discounts through April 30.
2021 NAIS Online Inclusive Schools Network Institute (ISNI)
June 14-17 + June 24
Daily we see more and more independent schools seeking effective ways to address the increasing gender diversity across the K–12 experience. Administrators and teachers are being called to engage, educate, and support all students and families in understanding gender identity and expression, and to respond when gender non-conforming students are teased, bullied, or harassed. Schools that implement gender-inclusive practices support their commitment to diversity and enhance a climate of campus well-being.
NAIS is partnering with Gender Spectrum, a national leader in creating gender sensitive and positively responsive environments for all children and teens to present the NAIS Inclusive Schools Network Institute (ISNI). This five-day institute, customized for the unique needs of independent schools, students, families, and communities, will be the gateway to Gender Spectrum’s national community of practice. ISNI is a yearlong professional-development program that will help build and strengthen a network of support and ongoing capacity building among independent schools as they address instructional, institutional, and social-emotional challenges and opportunities of gender inclusive practice.
Follow along and be part of the NAIS conversation on Twitter with #NAISISNI.
Managing diversity and leveraging difference to create communities where all students are included and know they belong requires a systemic approach. This institute is open to any educator interested in creating more gender inclusivity in their schools and has institutional support to do so, including but not limited to:
- Heads of School
- Division-level Administrators
- Diversity & Equity Professionals
- K–12 Classroom Teachers
- Athletic Directors/Coaches/Physical Education Teachers
- Early Childhood Educators
- Student Services Staff
- Residence Life Staff
- Teacher of Co-curricular Programs
- Paraprofessional Educators
- Professional-Development Leaders/ Coaches
- Librarians/Media Specialists
- Curriculum Specialists
The NAIS Inclusive Schools Network Institute (INSI) will meet participants where they are on their journey and practice of gender inclusivity, without judgment. Our colleagues at Gender Spectrum are recognized for helping educators understand the value of gender inclusive learning environments for all students. The institute also recognizes the nature of gender and its intersections with power, identity, and other dynamics.
ISNI content will include:
- Dimensions of gender, key terminology, and the spectrum framework for gender;
- Climate assessment and making a case for gender education in schools;
- Moving from perspective to practice and the pragmatics of creating gender-inclusive schools;
- A train-the-trainer curriculum to support institutional development and change;
- Best practices for supporting transgender and other gender-expansive students
- A legal webinar and advisory designed for private, independent schools
- A half-day workshop on gender at the intersection of race, power, and identity
- Ongoing professional and leadership development as part of the the national Inclusive Schools Network.
ISNI is five-day online institute. The first four days will run consecutively from June 14-17. The fifth session will take place on June 24. Participants should block all five days in their calendars to participate fully.
Registration is now open. Please click the "Register Now" button at the top to begin the registration process.
Early Bird Pricing
(3/17 - 4/30)
(5/1 - 6/12)
*Contact us for more information about the benefits of NAIS membership, including discounted event pricing.
Cancellations received up to 10 business days (May 31) prior to the start date of the program will be fully refunded, less a $75 administration fee. Cancellations received less than 10 business days prior to the program will not be refunded.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 973-9700 if you have any questions.